The London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) International Qualifications are recognized by universities, governments and professional bodies both locally and internationally. The qualifications are offered at various levels. You can start at a level that is most appropriate to your current knowledge and subsequently progress to other levels. This provides excellent opportunity to higher education and job advancement.
As work-related qualifications, LCCI equips you the knowledge and skills to meet job expectations. For more than 100 years, the LCCI brand is trusted and valued by employers world-wide. All qualifications bearing the LCCIIQ logo provide global marketability for our students.
Aims of the Qualification:
The qualiﬁcation’s aims are to enable candidates to develop the ability to:
• Use the language at a basic functional level
• Read and understand business-related English text
• Write basic English for simple, brief business communications
• Understand simple, spoken and recorded business English
• Participate in short conversations
• Apply grammar rules correctly
At least Secondary Two or equivalent; Minimum age: 16 year old
• Composing a simple business letter and memorandum
• Basic business reading comprehension
• Business information processing
• Business text and data reformulation
• Common grammatical errors
Every Saturday @ 2.30 pm to 5 pm
Start Date End Date Course Frequency Course Timing
07 January 2017 22 April 2017 Once a week, Saturday 2.30 pm to 5.00 pm
06 May 2017 12 Aug 2017 Once a week, Saturday 2.30 pm to 5.00 pm
09 September 2017 16 Dec 2017 Once a week, Saturday 2.30 pm to 5.00 pm
April/June/November (subject to confirmation)
Reading and Writing (Compulsory); Speaking and Listening (Optional)
Course Fees : $480.00 (inclusive of material fees)
Exam Fees : $200.00
Total Fees : $680.00
Students must have at least 75% class attendance to sit for the examination and a Pass grade in their examination to obtain certification.
Results Grading Qualification Awarded
50% to 59% Pass Pearson LCCI Level 1 Certificate in English for Business
60% to 74% Pass with Merit
75% and above Pass with Distinction
Next Level Progression:
PREPARATORY COURSE FOR PEARSON LONDON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY (LCCI) LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE IN ENGLISH FOR BUSINESS
Course Outline/Learning Outcome
Pearson LCCI Level 1 English for Business
Topics Course Outline/Learning Outcome
1 Business letter or memo • How to compose business letter and memo using given data with a particular aim or instruction
• Adopt an appropriate style or tone for the particular purpose
• Employ consistent business letter and memo conventions regarding layout, language and paragraphing
• Display coherence and cohesion to ensure fluent reading of the letter and memo
• Avoid over-use and unnecessary copying from the information given
• Ensure that the length of the letter and memo is adequate for the stated purpose
• Ensure that the finished letter and memo that is comprehensible
2 Basic Business Reading Comprehension • Demonstrate an ability to read and understand a passage
• Use the information in a passage to determine the validity of a series of statements
• Select appropriate and brief information from the passage to support your opinions about the statements
• Transfer accurately to the answer paper all words selected from the passage
• Avoid the inclusion of all unnecessary words in the answers
3 Business Information Processing • Read and understand a table or chart
• Compare the information in order to answer simple questions based on the data contained in a table or chart
• Answer using a single word or figure
• Avoid use of all unnecessary information
4 Business Text and Data Reformulation • Read and understand information given in a situation
• Select the information needed to complete a chart, form or list
• Use appropriate, precise and accurate wording to complete a business-related form
5 Language competence : structures, concepts and vocabulary • Verbs : tenses and forms
• Adjectives, adverbs and pronouns
• Subordinate clauses
• General vocabulary
Pearson LCCI Level 1 English for Business
Reading and Writing – Compulsory
Candidates are assessed via a 2 hours examination consisting of Four questions as follows:
• Question 1 carries 30 marks and involves the composition of a letter or memo, based on given information. The content should be between 150 and 200 words.
• Question 2 also carries 30 marks and involves understanding and responding to a passage of business-related prose of about 300 words.
• Question 3 carries 20 marks. It involves a “read and think” comprehension test, based on some graphic or numerical display, requiring single word or single figure answers.
• Question 4 carries 20 marks, involves a “read and write” reformulation task using data to complete forms or diagrams.
Speaking – Optional
Candidates are assessed by a 12 minute examination, including 5 minutes preparation time. Part 1 consists of a warm up conversation. Part 2 requires the candidate to participate in a discussion of a topic selected by the examiner.
Listening – Optional
Candidates are assessed by a 30 minute examination consisting of 30 multiple choice questions. In Part 1 (10 questions), candidates listen to a recorded question, which has three recorded responses and candidates choose the appropriate response. In Part 2 (20 questions), candidates listen to short conversations and announcements. They then read a question about the conversation or announcement, which has four possible responses, and choose the appropriate response.